Everything You Should Know about Premium Intraocular Lenses
Today, modern technology has allowed for different techniques and mechanisms to solve human problems. The medical field has witnessed many innovations that help overcome different health-related obstacles in the body. Finding different materials to replace problematic areas in the body is now not a big deal. In fact, even in eye treatment, artificial alternatives exist for substituting the lens of the eye to make necessary improvements.
Premium intraocular lenses in Monterey, CA are the kind of lenses that provide that kind of solution for patients with different eye problems that affect their natural eye lenses.
What Are Premium IOLs?
They stand for premium Intraocular Lenses (IOLs). They are artificial lenses that mimic the shape of the natural lens of the eye. They have been used in eye treatment for many years, with their first use being in the 1980s. These lenses have proven very effective in optometric treatments, tending to different eye needs that patients present.
IOLs are typically installed in your eyes through an implantation procedure that allows the replacement of your natural lens for the artificial ones. This involves a surgery, typically termed as refractive lens exchange.
Technically, no one lens fits all the eye problems that patients have. To determine the right fit for your eye problem, therefore, you would need to consult your eye surgeon in depth. Many considerations are made when determining the right treatment to improve your vision. For some patients, laser surgery is the only way to proceed with treatment and placing the lens. Other than that, many patients receive straightforward IOL replacement, particularly in the case of cataracts.
How Are IOLs Used for Eye Care and Treatment?
In eye treatment, different types of IOLs exist, allowing them to meet the varying needs of patients. Depending on the underlying eye problem you have, a different technique and IOL will be used to treat your eyes. In some cases, your eye doctor will use different techniques for your eyes, so that one eye has a different lens from the other. Some of how the lenses are used in eye treatments are:
1. To correct refractive problems – in some cases eye doctors in Monterey will use IOLs to treat presbyopia which is a refractive problem of the eye. It occurs when the natural lenses of the eye deteriorate in flexibility. This makes it hard for a patient to focus on objects at a close range, which makes reading difficult. For this, accommodating IOLs are used, as they have an aspheric design that helps improve flexibility during vision.
2. Treating cataracts – for many years not, this technology has been known to treat cataracts, which is why sometimes the name of the lenses is called premium cataract lenses. Cataracts is a condition that features a clouding of the eyes so that impairment. It is very common among aging patients. However, it can still affect young people. Premium IOLs are effective for treating cataracts, as it only involves removing the cataract and replacing the damaged lens.
3. UV protection – the rays of the sun are not just harmful to the skin, but also your eyes. For such, your optometrist might recommend IOLs to protect your eyes from the UV rays of the sun.
4. Treating astigmatism – IOLs can be used to correct astigmatism during eye surgery, with reduced risk of complications. The type of IOLs used for this purpose is called Toric IOLs.
5. Treating myopia – otherwise known as nearsightedness. It is a condition where patients have a hard time seeing objects that are far from them. Usually, multifocal IOLs are employed as they add magnification to the lens, making vision possible for both far and close objects.
Choosing the Right IOLs
Technically, you are not fully charged with the task of choosing the artificial lens to be used for your treatment. It largely depends on the eye problem you have, and the best possible approach to give your optimal results regarding your vision. Your eye surgeon will discuss this with you in detail, to help you come up with a solution that will account for improved performance of your eyes across all focal points and distances.